Friday, July 8, 2011

Pets are the Best Friends in RL and SL


I am amazed at the number and variety of Second Life pets. After purchasing two Amaretto horses last year, I recently picked up two Kittycats that were being given away free in honor of SL8B.  As a cat lover in RL and one who even created a SL pet memorial center (Rainbow Gardens Pet Memorial Center) when my own cat died last year, I found that one can really form an attachment to virtual pets.  I nearly lost my boy cat, Magic, to a SL inventory glitch but was relieved when the great folks at Kittycats were able to retrieve him for me in less than 24 hours.

I found a cute milk carton house for my kitties and then added some other virtual pets -- a bunny, free Fourth of July Biobreeds Beagle, a blue jay (I keep in a cage), and an aquarium.  Not all of these pets need to be fed and most are relatively low prim, but, as in real life, there is still a cost to keeping them (but no vet bills except the fee for some medicine if they do get sick).  The best thing, of course, is that they don't die.  However, Amarettos can be sent to "Horse Haven," and Kittycats can go to "Happily Forever," if you don't want to sell them or keep them for some reason. 

I have to say I enjoy my SL pets, and they are somewhat easier to care for than RL pets.  I'm glad SL offers this option for pet lovers.

No comments: