Sunday, January 27, 2008

Is Virtual Writing Real?

I've been writing a long time. I've also been published both in real life and in a virtual world known as Second Life. In real life, I have not earned much money for my work. In Second Life I've earned even less but since the game currency, the almighty Linden, can buy more virtual items than U.S. dollars can buy real merchandise, I am actually making out better. I can buy a designer gown for 1,000 Lindens or less (about $4 cash) and some really nice stuff is actually given away for free. But that's not why I write in a virtual world.

When I joined Second Life nearly a year ago in March 2007, I had no idea what to expect. I didn't expect to enjoy it. I just wanted to try it. I found it tough at the beginning and was only thankful that I received lots of help from the Alliance Group of librarians who have created a wonderful resource that started with one virtual island known as Info Island and now includes a group of virtual islands that are known as the Information Archipelago. I will write more about these virtual librarians in another entry.

As a librarian and writer, I had researched Second Life before I started playing by becoming a virtual resident there. I discovered that in addition to many real life businesses as well as virtual businesses, there are publications including newspapers that serve the audience of this worldwide community that now boasts 4 million or so occupants. I applied to a paper called the Metaverse Messenger and was hired as a staff writer. I began writing two columns, one geared toward new players, or newbies in SL lingo and one that profiled people who ran businesses in the game. From writing both these columns, I learned much about the people and culture of Second Life. I went on to write feature articles and cover events, particularly those hosted by the librarians on Info Island. I was offered my own virtual home to cover Info Island news, and I gladly accepted.

I am now beginning to join the several writer's groups that meet in Second Life and am learning from the real life authors who are guests or hosts of these groups. I am amazed at how real virtual writing can be and how unique a venue a virtual world can be for a writer. All fiction is, after all, virtual. It exists in our minds to be verbalized or written. Once we create it, it is real no matter where it is read.

No comments: