Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Favorite Books

Authors (and librarians, too) are often asked what books they have read and enjoyed. Like movie reviews, their replies are very individual and not necessarily meant as recommendations. Below I have listed some of my favorite books and series along with why I liked them and what I would perhaps like to emulate about the writing style or plot.

1. Second Glance by Jodi Picoult
While I have read a few of Picoult's books, this one stands out for me. It has the touch of paranormal that I admire with the sense of past and strong characters that appeal to me.

2. The Eight by Katherine Neville
Not an easy book to read but one that is worth reading several times. Historical detail about the French Revolution is nicely researched. Characters are witty and colorful. The time switches between the past and the present merge well. Information about chess and its history and masters is a plus.

3. Perfect Nightmare by John Saul
I enjoy Saul's horror which can be more psychological than physical but still produces that tingling up the spine. I found this one particularly well written.

4. Chill Factor by Sandra Brown
This mystery novel is atmospheric and features well depicted winter weather effects. It kept me guessing until nearly the end.

5. Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux
As a time travel fan, this hit a chord with me. I loved the characters and plot.

6. Find Me by Carol O'Connell
All of the Mallory mysteries are good, but this one was especially well written. The Mallory series is tough to read but worth the effort. I like books that make you think and feel. This one does both, as do all the books in this series.

7. Lightning by Dean Koontz
Koontz is another of my favorite horror authors. This was an oldie but greatie featuring time travel with great characters and plot.

8. Time and Again by Jack Finney
This wonderful time travel classic tells a beautiful love story set in atmospheric turn-of-the-century New York. The black and white photos were an interesting plus. I loved this book.

9. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
Historical fiction is not my favorite genre, but this book is an exception. It's a lengthy read but a good one. I waited a long time for its follow up "The Winter Rose."

10 & 11. Carolina Moon and Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts
I thoroughly enjoy most of this prolific author's novels, but these two are my favorites, so far, for atmosphere, suspense, and romance.

12. In Death Series by J.D. Robb
All of these futuristic mysteries are fun to read. I love the characters, sensuality, humor, and mystery. These four ingredients are perfectly blended in each "In Death" book. I was hooked fron the first one and have read the whole series.

13, 14 & 15. The Mayfair Witches Trilogy by Anne Rice These three books are full of wonderful New Orleans atmosphere and supernatural elements. While lengthy, the descriptions are vivid and absorbing. These are stories to savor.

16. The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser
This classic features wonderful historic detail along with time travel and romance. It is a sweet, old-fashioned tale with a wonderful plot and characters.

No comments: